This Slow-cooker Spaghetti Casserole Recipe Was Inspired by Southern Living Magazine by Jan Mostrom
I'm always looking for easy comfort food recipes to make for groups of people. I loved this slow-cooker spaghetti casserole recipe inspired by Southern Living magazine, which I've changed a bit to make my own.
The ingredient list is short for this pasta recipe: ground beef, onions, fresh garlic, spaghetti noodles, your favorite jarred marinara, canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning and freshly grated cheese for the top. The simple ingredients combine to make a dinner to dive into. And if you're lucky, there will be leftovers for tomorrow!
You can try this slow-cooker recipe in the oven as well, just cook the pasta to al dente before assembling layers. In either case, you'll love how easy this spaghetti casserole is to make for friends and family.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 to 4 hours
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef (or 1 pound ground beef and 1 pound Italian sausage)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into pieces
- 1 jar (23 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes (regular or fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Turn the slow cooker on low heat. Cook the ground beef and chopped onion in a skillet. Use a paper towel to get rid of the excess fat from the mixture. Place half of the meat and onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add all the spaghetti pieces on top.
- Add the remaining meat and onions.
- Wipe the skillet off to get rid of the extra fat and then combine sauce, tomatoes, seasonings and 1/2 cup of water and pour over meat.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker.
- Cook for 2 to 4 hours on low until the mixture is melted and warm. My slow cooker is quite warm and was done in just 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer to bowls and serve with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan on top.
Photos courtesy of Jan Mostrom.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.