Quick & Easy Soy Scallion Fish Recipe: Asian Flavors in 20 Minutes by Jan Mostrom
We love to cook fish, especially salmon and halibut. But I tend to cook the same recipe over and over. Not anymore! This simple preparation is so easy and works especially well for thicker cuts of fish. I made this seafood recipe with salmon, but it's a very versatile sauce to steam any fish in.
The fish fillets are poached in a sauce made with low-sodium soy sauce or tamari, chopped scallions (green onions), fresh ginger, salt and a pinch of sugar. The liquid is absorbed into the fish adding so much flavor. Delish. The fish cooks in about 15 minutes.
Be sure to save the ends of the green onions. Why? Because you can regrow green onions! Serve this Asian-inspired fish recipe over quinoa, rice or your favorite grain. Add a fresh green vegetable and you have a healthy meal you'll feel good serving your family.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 fish filets (6 to 8 ounces each), skinned and cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 6 scallions (green onions), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or Himalayan salt
- pinch of sugar (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a medium bowl combine salt and about 1 to 2 cups room-temperature water. Add the fish chunks into the mixture and let sit for about 10 minutes. (This step helps keep the fish from drying out.) In a large frying pan or medium pot combine 1/2 cup water with soy sauce, green onions, ginger and dash of sugar, if desired.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and then gently add fish pieces to the remaining liquid. Gently mix to coat the fish in the liquid, then cover and cook through about 10 minutes. Taste sauce and if needed add a bit more sugar to balance the saltiness of the soy.
- Gently remove the fish from the pan and place over quinoa, rice or other grain. Top with sauce from the pan and sprinkle green onions on top.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.