Most-Requested Meatloaf Recipe: My Mother-in-Law's Corny Meatloaf by Donna John
It's amazing how many meatloaf recipes are in this world. You may have grown up eating Amish sauerkraut meatloaf, cheese-stuffed barbecue meatloaf, steak sauce meatloaf or firefighter's meatloaf. My mom made a basic meatloaf and put cream of mushroom soup on top. My husband's mom made her meatloaf a little different. Her interesting ingredient? Corn.
My husband refers to this meatloaf as "my mom's meatloaf." She uses pretty basic meatloaf ingredients with the addition of corn. Her meatloaf shopping list is ground beef, an egg, tomato sauce, whole kernel corn, breadcrumbs and ketchup. The ground beef is combined with an egg, tomato sauce, drained whole kernel corn and breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper, and formed into a loaf. Spread the top with ketchup and bake for about one hour.
I doubled this recipe, but did not double the amount of tomato sauce for fear it would be too wet and not hold its shape. You could add some chopped onion to the meatloaf mixture and use barbecue sauce instead of ketchup. Use whatever breadcrumbs you like. I grated white sandwich bread to make my breadcrumbs. Be sure to let the meatloaf rest a few minutes before slicing. Serve this corny meatloaf for dinner with your favorite side dishes. Use the leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (ovens vary)
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 small can (6 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small can (7 to 8 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- breadcrumbs (about 1/3 cup or to your preference)
- ketchup, for top
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the ingredients except the ketchup. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Shape into a loaf in a baking dish or put into a loaf pan.
- Spread the top with some ketchup (or you can do this midway through baking).
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let the meatloaf rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.