Super Crispy Spiced Baked Fried Chicken Recipe Uses 3 Secrets for Crispy Chicken by Donna John
Everyone is loving my super crispy Italian baked chicken, so I thought I'd try another crispy baked chicken recipe. If you like really crispy chicken with lots of flavor, you are in for another treat! This easy baked spiced chicken gets ultra-crispy in the oven because it uses three secrets. Ready to hear about them?
The first secret to crispy chicken skin is drying the skin of the chicken well with paper towels to remove all the moisture you can. This keeps the skin from steaming as it bakes and instead gets crispy. The second secret is cooking the chicken at a higher heat, which naturally will result in a darker, crispier skin. The third one is new to me: using baking powder. As it turns out, baking powder raises the skin's pH levels, which helps the proteins break down easier, resulting in darker browning and the crispiness we all love.
This juicy oven-baked fried chicken has minimal prep and is simple to make. Start by stirring together the seasoning blend made with onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano and baking powder. Dry the chicken well with paper towels, season with salt and black pepper, and sprinkle the seasoning all over the chicken. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake until crunchy and golden brown. Because the chicken cooks at a higher temperature, be sure to watch it because all ovens are different.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 45 minutes
- 4 - 6 bone-in chicken thighs (or your favorite chicken pieces)
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and put into a lightly oiled baking dish. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the seasoning blend all over both sides of the chicken. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden, crispy and cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.