Ridiculous Revel Bars Recipe: If Oatmeal Cookies, Fudge & Brownies Had a Baby by Donna John
What's a revel bar? A revel bar is an oatmeal cookie bar that has a chocolatey, fudgy filling in the middle. I think it's more like if brownies, fudge and oatmeal cookies had a sweet delicious baby. It's said these bars are called revel bars because people revel in delight after eating them. I definitely believe that!
The oatmeal cookie layer is made with butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, quick oats, flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt. The batter is used as the base of the bars and as the crumble topping. The chocolate layer is made with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butter, salt, vanilla and chopped nuts.
You can use your favorite chocolate chips for this dessert recipe, but semisweet are my favorite. Make these cookie bars gluten-free by using gluten-free flour. If you don't like nuts, leave them out! If you do use nuts and have the time, give them a quick toast in a dry skillet to bring out even more flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- big pinch of salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Here's how to make it:
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in the baking soda, salt, oats and flour until combined. Put about 2/3 of the mixture into a greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Press down to cover the bottom of the pan.
- To make the chocolate layer, put the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butter and salt into a saucepot. Cook over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and nuts. Remove from the heat. Spoon the filling over the oatmeal layer, spreading to cover the entire top.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 oatmeal mixture over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.