Coronation Quiche Recipe: The Royal Quiche Chosen By King Charles & Camilla for the Big Lunch by Donna John
Queen Elizabeth chose coronation chicken, but King Charles and Camilla have decided on a quiche for the "big lunch" on May 6, 2023. The coronation quiche features spinach, broad beans, cheese and tarragon.
The royal website describes the quiche as "a deep quiche with a crisp, light pastry case and delicate flavors of spinach, broad beans and fresh tarragon. Eat hot or cold with a green salad and boiled new potatoes – perfect for a Coronation Big Lunch!"
Broad beans, also known as fava beans, may be hard to find for some people in the U.S. If you can't find fava beans, a good substitute for this quiche recipe is lima beans. The royal cooks will make a homemade pastry crust for the quiche, but home cooks may find it easier to use a premade, store-bought pastry crust.
Why not plan to make this cheesy spinach quiche for the coronation? You could also make some other recipes that Queen Elizabeth loved:
Learn more about all the coronation activities.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 35 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 125 grams all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- pinch of salt
- 25 grams cold butter, diced (1/8 cup)
- 25 grams lard (1/8 cup)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 125 ml milk (1/2 cup)
- 175 ml double (heavy) cream (3/4 cup)
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 100 grams grated cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 180 grams cooked spinach, lightly chopped (about 6 ounces)
- 60 grams cooked broad beans (fava beans) or soya beans (about 2 ounces)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the pastry, sieve (sift) the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the fats and rub the mixture together using your finger tips until you get a sandy, breadcrumb like texture. Add the milk a little at a time and bring the ingredients together into a dough. Cover and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes. Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the pastry to a circle a little larger than the top of the tin and approximately 5 mm thick. Line the tin with the pastry, taking care not to have any holes or the mixture could leak. Cover and rest for a further 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F). Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper. Add baking beans (pie weights) and bake blind for 15 minutes, before removing the greaseproof paper and baking beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees C (320 degrees F).
- Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, herbs and seasoning. Scatter half of the grated cheese in the blind-baked base, top with the chopped spinach and beans and herbs, then pour over the liquid mixture. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until set and lightly golden.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.