Magic Lemon Pie Bar Cookies Recipe Is Like a Bite of Sunshine by Katie Smith
Why are these lemon pie bar cookies magic? Because they magically disappear as soon as you bake them! Tender butter cookies are topped with lemon curd and dusted with powdered sugar, and they really are the most refreshing cookie you can take a bite of.
The simple vanilla cookie batter is made with butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. The ingredients are mixed together and then baked for about 10 minutes or until just set. After cooling, the cookies are topped with a tart lemon curd and given a powdered sugar shower. Delicious!
Cream of tartar is a white powder that's used to stabilize egg whites in meringues and cakes, but can also be used as an activating ingredient when baking. You can find cream of tartar on the baking and spice aisle at most grocery stores.
You can use a jar of lemon curd for this lemon cookie recipe, but I make my own because it is so easy. Here is my mom's homemade lemon curd recipe. But, if you don't have time, a good-quality store-bought lemon curd will work. It's also important to squeeze fresh lemons when making a homemade lemon curd – or any recipe using lemon for that matter. This may be your new favorite lemon cookie recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes per batch
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Makes about 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd or homemade lemon curd
- powdered sugar, for finishing
Here's how to make it:
- With an electric mixer, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Scoop the cookie batter onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. (Don't crowd the pan. Do about six cookies at a time.)
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Cool the cookies about 3 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to cool completely.
- When cool, top each cookie with a little lemon curd. Dust with powdered sugar.
Photos taken by Katie Smith.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.