Fabulous French Toast Casserole Recipe for Breakfast or Sunday Brunch by Jan Mostrom
I made this French toast casserole recipe and served it to a large group who absolutely loved it. With a brown sugar and butter base and a powdered sugar top, you cannot lose with this delicious breakfast or brunch dish that will please both kids and adults.
The easy French toast casserole is made with cubed French bread (try my homemade no-knead French bread recipe), butter, brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. The casserole is topped with more cinnamon and brown sugar before being baked in the oven until golden and cooked through. Dust with a little powdered sugar before serving. So delicious! You can make this brunch casserole the day before and keep it refrigerated until ready to bake.
Dry bread is better to use in this breakfast casserole recipe, so I cut the bread into cubes the night before I made the casserole and left it out on a cookie sheet to dry out. It worked perfectly! Serve this easy French toast casserole for breakfast, brunch or even dessert.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1/2 a loaf of French bread (about 8 ounces), cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, for topping
- powdered sugar, for topping (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once butter has melted, stir in brown sugar until dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a 13x9-inch pan or casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Add bread cubes to the pan, spreading over the top of the brown sugar-butter mixture.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture over the top of bread cubes, insuring that all pieces of bread are saturated. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Refrigerate covered overnight or bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.