Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe: A Light, Luscious Lemon Dessert for Easter by Ann Marie Patitucci
While I’m a chocolate lover at heart, I also love all the lemon desserts, especially lemon bars, magic lemon cobbler, lemon cookies, lemon mousse, lemon cake roll, lemon meringue pie (especially my mom’s) and more! My parents tell me that I’ve loved lemons and lemon desserts since I was little. I used to suck on lemons despite their sour taste, and my boys did the same when they were little! Once the weather gets nice I start craving lemon desserts, but the truth is, I love lemon all year long.
This poppy seed lemon bundt cake recipe is a great example. While it would look beautiful on an Easter dinner table or at an outdoor baby shower, it’s so light and lusciously lemony that you’ll love it in spring, summer, winter and fall.
If you’re not a fan of poppy seeds, you can substitute with flax seeds, hemp seeds or chia seeds. If you’d rather not include seeds at all, that’s fine – the cake will still be delicious! As someone who is a newer bundt cake maker and appreciates all the good tips, I have two important tips for you:
- Nonstick metal pans tend to work best and you should grease the pan really well.
- Let the cake cool completely before transitioning it to a plate. Your patience will pay off!
Be sure to print out some copies of this fantastic lemon cake recipe to share with friends and family.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 minutes to cool
Cook Time: 50 to 60 minutes (ovens vary)
Total Time: 1 hour and 35 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon zest (roughly 3 large lemons for zest and juice)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk, plus more if needed
Here’s how to make it:
- Spray a nonstick metal bundt cake pan generously with cooking spray (which will help you release the cake from the pan when it’s done).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- In the bowl of a mixer with a whisk attachment, add sugar and lemon zest. Using the attachment, whisk for a couple minutes until the sugar and zest are well blended. Add unsalted butter and beat about 3 to 4 minutes, until mixture is light and fluffy. Add buttermilk and eggs to the mixer; mix well for about 2 to 3 minutes, until smooth. Do not overmix the batter.
- Add half the dry ingredient mix to the mixer and mix until well combined. Add remaining flour and continue mixing until well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan, filling about 2/3 of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the lemon glaze. Whisk the powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract together. The glaze is meant to be “runny,” so add milk as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, until your desired consistency is achieved.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it sit in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a knife along the sides of the cake to help loosen it, then flip the cake over onto a large plate or cake tray. Let the cake cool completely, then drizzle the cake with the lemon glaze. Cut into slices and serve. Garnish with small, thin lemon slices, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Bundt Pans $10 & Up
Poppy Seeds $4 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Powdered Sugar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.