Caribbean Cornbread Recipe: Cornbread Like You've Never Tasted Before by Jan Mostrom
My husband and I were blessed to go to the island of Anguilla for our anniversary. We stumbled upon this local beautiful restaurant called Blanchards Restaurant and Beach Shack and had a magical evening celebrating 15 years together. We were so enthralled with the experience we bought their cookbook (see link below) and this is one of our favorites recipes.
This is cornbread recipe on another level and we've never been disappointed. If you saw this page in my cookbook you'd know how much we love it by the way it's coated in ingredients! You might want to make a double batch because it's just as good (or maybe better) in the days after you make it. (I got so nostalgic writing this post I researched and found the restaurant still exists so go if you have the chance! Go!)
The moist cornbread is made with flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs, sugar, cream-style corn, crushed pineapple (yes!) and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. The cornbread bakes for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Now get ready to take your taste buds on an incredible journey!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / Caribbean
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese (or mild cheddar or colby)
- If you don't have cream-style corn, you could use a can of whole kernel corn that's been drained.
- I use salted butter not unsalted butter because I never have unsalted butter in the house. The cornbread is still fabulous.
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar. While the mixer is running, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the corn, pineapple and cheese and mix on low to blend.
- On a low speed, add the dry ingredients and mix until blended well. Pour the batter into a butter and floured 9-inch glass or ceramic cake pan, or similar-sized baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 325-degree F oven until golden brown around the edges and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 14.6g
Saturated Fat: 7.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 45g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1g
Total Sugars: 11.2g
Vitamin D: 21mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.