Luscious Lemon Roll Cake Recipe: Roll Into Spring With This Easy Lemon Dessert by Ann Marie Patitucci
It is officially spring and I am ready for blooming flowers, warm weather and ... lemon! According to my parents, I have loved lemons and lemon-flavored desserts since I was a child. My favorite pie was my mom’s lemon meringue. I still love all the lemon desserts, especially lemon bars, lemon cobbler, lemon cookies, lemon mousse and more!
I used to feel intimidated by the idea of making a cake roll. Surely cake rolls were meant for more experienced bakers than myself. They looked too complicated, too beautiful for me to make. But I was wrong! Rolled cakes are not as difficult as they may seem!
If cake rolls are a new adventure for you, too, it will be worth it to try something new. This lemon cake roll recipe is bursting with lemon flavor and filled with a delectable lemon cream cheese filling. It’s the perfect dessert to kick off spring or celebrate Easter. It also looks very impressive, so you can impress your guests with you baking skills! Bonus: you can make it in under 40 minutes (plus chill time). Slice the cooled cake and serve with a tall glass of homemade lemonade.
You can add even more sweetness and tartness to this lemon roll cake by drizzling with a powdered sugar glaze and topping with fresh lemon slices. To make a basic powdered sugar glaze, stir together 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Inside scoop: The filling should be thick and fluffy. If it’s not, feel free to add up to 1/2 cup more powdered sugar.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
Cook Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: 37 minutes plus chill time
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, plus more if filling is not thick and fluffy
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Here’s how to make it:
- Line a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray paper with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and granulated sugar on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in vegetable oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, milk, flour and baking powder until evenly combined. Pour cake batter into prepared baking sheet, ensuring that it reaches all edges. Bake in a preheated 350-degrees F oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden.
- Lay a small tea towel on your surface and generously sprinkle with powdered sugar. Once the cake is baked, turn it out onto towel and peel off parchment paper. It’s important to roll it out immediately to prevent cracking. Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top side, then roll the cake up around the towel. Set lemon cake aside to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat together powdered sugar, cream cheese, lemon juice and heavy cream.
- Once cake has cooled, unroll it and spread filling over the top. Next, roll it back up. Be careful not to roll too tightly, you don’t want the filling to spill out. Your cake roll is now complete with its lusciously lemon cream cheese filling. All that’s left to do now is chill it. First, wrap aluminum foil around it and seal, then refrigerate or freeze a minimum of 2 hours up to overnight.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.