Easy Sunday Dinner Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Is Ready in About 1 Hour by 30Seconds Food
Chicken pot pie is one of the ultimate comfort foods. Tender chicken cooked in a velvety rich sauce with vegetables and a flaky crust is found on dinner tables across the U.S. The meat pie is a popular meal to serve for Sunday dinner.
This easy chicken pot pie is made with bone-in chicken breast halves, thyme, butter, onion, carrots, flour, green peas, parsley and frozen puff pastry. The chicken is cooked in water along with fresh thyme sprigs to cook the chicken and create the homemade chicken broth. The onion and carrot are cooked in butter, then flour is added as a thickening agent. The chicken broth, peas and parsley are added and cook until thickened. The mixture is spooned into a casserole dish or ovenproof cast iron skillet, covered with the puff pastry and baked to golden perfection.
Did you know that chicken pop pie originated in Greece? No kidding! The Greeks started putting cooked meat into pastry shells called artocreas. It was the Romans, however, that added the top crust and made it into an actual chicken pot pie. But some still give credit to England for the pot pie. Pot pie did come to America with the English settlers.
Serve this savory chicken pot pie with a fresh garden salad, cucumber salad or your favorite side dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 bone-in skin-on chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme plus 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, minced
- 8 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken and thyme sprigs into a large soup pot. Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a cutting board. Reserve 5 cups of the chicken broth. When chicken is cool, remove the meat and shred.
- Melt the butter in the pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook about 8 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until a paste forms. Pour in the 5 cups of chicken broth a little at a time, whisking, until it is all incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the shredded chicken, peas, parsley, thyme leaves, and salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the filling into a 9-inch cast iron skillet, similar size casserole dish or individual serving ramekins.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut into a circle larger than your skillet or casserole dish. Put the puff pastry over the filling, pressing the edges to seal. Cut a slit in the top of the pastry. Brush the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.