Quick Chocolate Chip Scones Recipe: Homemade Scones in Less Than 30 Minutes by Jan Mostrom
These quick chocolate chip scones are one of my favorite treats to make for family and friends. I was even so bold as to make them for our British friends and got rave reviews! Think scones are too difficult to make? These chocolate chip scones are ready in about 30 minutes. Seriously!
The easy homemade scone recipe is made with flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, vanilla and heavy cream. The scone dough is shaped into a ball, cut in half, then cut into wedges. The scones bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown, tender and delicious.
This scone recipe isn't too sweet, and one of the best parts is how easy and versatile the recipe is. Need gluten free? Just substitute the all-purpose flour for a great gluten-free flour. Like fruit instead of chocolate? Try berries, raisins or cranberries. Or for the purist just leave it all out and enjoy with butter and jam or honey.
You won't regret making this lovely treat as a dessert, a snack or a delicious breakfast soon, especially when you hear how much your family loves them!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 - 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream (half and half works in a pinch), plus additional for brushing
- coarse sparkling sugar, for topping
- chocolate chips, berries or other ingredient of your choice
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the dry ingredients. Start with 1 1/3 cups cream and add a bit more if there is still loose flour.
- Mix in chocolate chips and shape dough into a ball.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Lightly flour your counter and press out dough halves to about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into pie-shaped wedges. Cut six sections per half for smaller scones or four for larger scones.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and transfer wedges onto the sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for 14 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
All-Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Chocolate Chips $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.