4-Ingredient No-Knead French Bread Recipe: Fresh Homemade Bread In 3 Hours by Jan Mostrom
My family loves fresh homemade bread. During the coronavirus pandemic, I learned to bake sourdough complete with my own starter and we love it. For the days when there isn't enough time for that process I love this beautiful, four-ingredient, three-hour, no-knead bread recipe that my daughter found on TikTok. This French bread recipe is so simple you'll want to make it all the time.
You will need parchment paper and a 3-quart Dutch oven for this no-knead French bread recipe. The ingredient list is short: bread flour or all-purpose flour, water, yeast and salt. Yes, just four ingredients are all that's needed for this wonderful homemade bread recipe (and one of them is water). The ingredients are mixed together and allowed to rise for about two hours. The bread is baked in a Dutch oven for about 45 minutes or until it's golden brown.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours to rise
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 55 minutes
Servings: 10 (makes 1 loaf)
- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 cups warm filtered water (or good tap water)
- 2 packets (.25 ounces each) instant yeast or quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt (I used 2 tablespoons, but some may find that too salty)
- In colder winter months I put the dough to rise on my kitchen counter away from drafts and close to the sun if possible.
- You can add optional toppings to this easy bread recipe like coarse salt, seeds, sesame seeds, nuts, chia, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. Make it your own!
Here's how to make it:
- In a ceramic or glass bowl combine yeast, warm water, flour and salt.
- Mix thoroughly. For softer bread I found adding ingredients in this order worked. For a bit more dense crusty bread I added dry ingredients and then the warm water.
- Place a towel over it and place in a warm location for 2 hours. When you are 1 hour and 45 minutes into the rise OR 15 minutes before you want to cook the loaf, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place Dutch oven inside with the lid on.
- After 2 hours remove dough (wet hands makes this easier) and place gently on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.
- If you like denser bread handle as little as possible, if you like a few air pockets GENTLY fold the dough over on itself two to three folds. Using a serrated knife cut an X into the top of the dough. If you would like a topping, gently tap the dough with wet hands and add topping of your choice (such as sea salt).
- Place dough in parchment into the preheated Dutch oven. (Make sure to pull back the parchment so that the dough can brown).
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, pull gently back the parchment from edges where it may have become stuck and bake an additional 15 minutes for a beautiful brown finish.
- Remember to let it cool for a few minutes before you cut.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.6g
Saturated Fat: 0.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 38.7g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6g
Total Sugars: 0.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.