20-Minute Crispy Southern Catfish Nuggets Recipe Is What to Air Fry for Lent by 30Seconds Food
Catfish is a southern thing. The bottom-dwelling fish with long whiskers (thus the name) is often coated in a cornmeal crust and deep fried. Catfish nuggets are simply smaller pieces of the fish that you can pop into your mouth or dip into a creamy sauce. This easy air fryer fish recipe is the perfect recipe for busy weeknight dinners or during lent.
This fish recipes starts with cutting catfish into 1-inch pieces. A dredging station is made by putting flour and cornmeal into one bowl and beaten eggs into another bowl. The fish is tossed with garlic powder and lemon juice to give it some added flavor. The fish nuggets take a dip into the flour-cornmeal mixture and then into the eggs, then back into the flour mixture. The catfish is then air fried for about 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes.
You could substitute cod for the catfish. If you want more crunch, add some panko breadcrumbs to the cornmeal mixture. Serve these crunchy fish nuggets with remoulade sauce, creamy Old Bay remoulade sauce, ranch, Cajun dipping sauce, tartar sauce or cocktail sauce for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound catfish, cut into 1-inch pieces (or your favorite fish)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper, to taste, in a bowl. Beat the eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Put the fish into a bowl and add salt, pepper, the lemon juice and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Dredge the fish into the flour-cornmeal, then into the egg, then again into the cornmeal mixture. Put the fish into an air fryer basket that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Mist the tops of the fish lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake for about 5 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Air Fryers $50 & Up
Panko $2 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Cornmeal $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.