Maple Fried Chicken Tenders Recipe With Waffles: The Perfect Southern Dinner or Brunch by 30Seconds Food
Chicken and waffles is another southern recipe that is popular not only for brunch and breakfast, but for dinner, too. This chicken and waffles recipe starts with crispy, golden pan-fried chicken thighs. There's not only maple syrup served with the fried chicken tenders, but there's maple extract and maple syrup in the chicken marinade for more maple flavor.
Start by mixing together a marinade made with buttermilk, maple syrup, an egg, maple extract and garlic powder. Let the boneless chicken thighs marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour before cooking, and up to overnight. The chicken goes directly from the wet marinade into a dry dredge made with flour, cornstarch and seasoned salt. The chicken is quickly pan-fried until golden brown, juicy, crispy and delicious. Serve the hot chicken with waffles and drizzle with maple syrup and butter.
Use your favorite waffle batter recipe for this chicken dinner recipe. You could even use frozen waffles. If you want to add some heat, use Nashville hot seasoning instead of seasoned salt in the dry dredge. Serve this fried chicken recipe for dinner (breakfast for dinner!), brunch or even a fancy breakfast. Add a side of fresh fruit. The chicken tenders could also be served without waffles for dinner with a fresh vegetable and salad.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to marinate
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes plus time to marinate
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (left whole or cut into tenders)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- maple syrup
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the buttermilk, maple syrup, egg, maple extract and garlic powder in a container or plastic food storage bag. Add the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat about 2 inches of oil in a large skillet (cast iron works well) to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch and seasoned salt in a shallow bowl or brown bag. Whisk or shake to combine. Put the chicken directly from the marinade into the flour-cornstarch mixture and dredge or shake to coat completely.
- Put the chicken into the hot oil and cook until crispy, golden brown and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve the chicken with hot waffles and drizzle with maple syrup and butter.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.