Mediterranean Hasselback Chicken Casserole Recipe: A Fresh Way to Casserole by 30Seconds Food
Mediterranean flavors shine in this easy Greek hasselback chicken casserole recipe! Unlike heavier casserole recipes, simple, healthy, fresh and wholesome ingredients combine to make a lemony, cheesy chicken dinner in no time.
The Mediterranean casserole starts by cutting slits into the chicken breasts with a sharp knife. Leave about a 1/2 inch uncut at the bottom so you do not go all the way through. These are slits that you will stuff. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and pop them into a baking dish. The chicken is then brushed with a tasty mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano (fresh or dried oregano works). Place the vegetable slices into the slits. You may not need all the cut vegetables, but that's OK! You will cook these in the baking dish beside the stuffed chicken. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella and feta cheese, and bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through. So easy!
Serve this gluten-free Mediterranean casserole recipe with a fresh garden salad for a complete meal (the vegetables are baked in the chicken!). You could add a side of quinoa, rice or your favorite grain. This casserole is not only delicious, but pretty to look at with all the colorful fruit and vegetables (be sure to snap a photo and share below in the comments section).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: American / Greek / Mediterranean
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced thin
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Lemon Juicer
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Garlic Press
- Mandoline Slicer
- When cutting slits in the chicken, make sure not to go all the way through or your chicken breast will fall apart.
- Try Gruyere cheese instead of mozzarella.
- Instead of dried oregano, try dried Italian seasoning, Mediterranean seasoning or Greek seasoning.
Here's how to make it:
- Make about six slits in each chicken breast, being careful not to cut all the way through. Season with salt and pepper and place into an oiled casserole dish.
- Stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and oregano in a bowl. Brush the mixture all over the chicken breasts (let it run down into the slits).
- Stuff the slits in the chicken with the zucchini, tomatoes, onion and lemon slices. Put any remaining vegetables around the chicken in the dish.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and feta cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 27.5g
Saturated Fat: 8.7g
Total Carbohydrate: 13.2g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3g
Total Sugars: 6.1g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.