Caramelized Onion Baked Chicken Recipe: Everything You Want in a Chicken Dinner by 30Seconds Food
Caramelized onions can make almost any recipe better. They're sweet, soft and succulent. This caramelized onion baked chicken recipe has sweet balsamic onions combined with juicy chicken. It's a winning combination.
Start by cooking three sliced onions in butter until soft, golden and caramelized. Garlic, thyme, balsamic vinegar and beef broth are added to up the flavor factor even more. The chicken is seasoned with salt and pepper and topped with more raw onions and cheese before being baked on the bed of onions until cooked through. If you can't eat dairy, leave the cheese out.
If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, put the cooked caramelized onions into a casserole dish or baking pan, then top with the chicken. You could use boneless chicken for this recipe, but reduce the cooking time (boneless chicken cooks faster). Serve this easy baked chicken dinner with your favorite side dishes. Rice would be nice or potatoes to soak up all the oniony flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 3 onions, cut into thin slices (reserve 1/4 cup for topping)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 4 - 6 chicken legs or chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove the lid and continue to cook until golden, about 8 minutes more, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook for another 30 seconds. Pour in the beef broth and cook until it has a jam consistency, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Put the chicken on top of the onions. Sprinkle with the cheese, if using, and reserved raw onions. Cover and bake in a preheated 376-degree F oven for about 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, uncovering for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ovenproof Skillets $10 & Up
Low-Sodium Beef Broth $2 & Up
Balsamic Vinegar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.