Grandma's Chicken & Rice Casserole Recipe: An Old-fashioned Favorite Elevated by 30Seconds Food
Chicken and rice is a classic combination that grandmas and moms have been preparing for ages. And who doesn't love an easy casserole recipe? This chicken and rice casserole recipe with mushrooms and cheese covers both bases. It's a hearty, flavorful dinner the whole family will enjoy sitting down to. The cheese elevates this dish and will make even the pickiest eater want to dig in.
The casserole is cooked in an ovenproof skillet so it can go from the stovetop to the oven to bake. The chicken casserole is made with butter, olive oil, onion, boneless chicken breast, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, fresh mushrooms, fresh garlic, long-grain white rice, chicken broth and grated cheese. After all the ingredients are cooked together, the rice gets tender by being baked in the oven for about 30 minutes. Once tender, top the casserole with grated cheese and bake or broil until melted.
Serve this chicken casserole with a fresh vegetable or salad. We like to serve it with broccoli, broccolini, carrots or green beans, but any vegetable will do. This casserole reheats will for leftovers the next day.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup grated white cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss or Monterey Jack cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in an ovenproof skillet. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Season the chicken with the garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, stirring, until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring, about 3 to 4 minutes or until mushrooms have softened. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. Cover the skillet and bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 30 minutes. Uncover, top with the grated cheese, and either bake 5 more minutes or broil until cheese has melted.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ovenproof Skillets with Lids $12 & Up
Long Grain White Rice $2 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Onion Powder $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.