Cheesy Ground Beef Cabbage Casserole Recipe: A Clean-eating Recipe to Make ASAP by 30Seconds Food
"If you’re a cabbage lover (like me!) then you’ve gotta get this on your family’s menu ASAP!" says Rachel Maser, mom of four and founder/creator of the clean eating blog, Clean Food Crush®. This cheesy cabbage casserole recipe "is ultra-satisfying and hearty without being too heavy. This one will leave you feeling good after eating thanks to the simple whole-food ingredients. It’s incredibly flavorful, too!"
Rachel says casseroles are a cold-weather love language in their house. "When it turns cold outside, I love to pull a hot bubbly casserole out of the oven to serve for dinner. The house is filled with heat from the oven, delicious aroma from the flavor-packed casserole, and an overall homey vibe that we all crave this time of year."
This ground beef casserole recipe is even better the next day. "So it's an excellent meal prep idea." Store the leftover casserole in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 large head green cabbage, thinly sliced (around 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, ground bison or ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups (16 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)
- fresh parsley or thyme, to garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chopped cabbage into a large bowl and season it generously with sea salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the cabbage for a few minutes, or until it starts to shrink. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the ground meat, mincing it with a wooden spoon as it browns. Once the meat is no longer pink, drain any excess grease. Stir in the onion and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in all the seasonings, marinara sauce and apple cider vinegar then bring the sauce to a boil. Once bubbling, remove from heat.
- Allow all excess moisture to drain off the cabbage.
- To assemble your casserole, add half of the meat mixture to the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan that's been rubbed with oil. Layer with half the cabbage and a sprinkle of cheese. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients, finishing off with a layer of cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cabbage is tender. Sprinkle with fresh thyme or parsley.
Photos: Clean Food Crush
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Marinara Sauce $2 & Up
Avocado Oil $5 & Up
Chili Powder $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Smoked Paprika $3 & Up
Apple Cider Vinegar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.