Grandma's 5-Ingredient Baked Egg Noodle Macaroni & Cheese Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Most macaroni and cheese recipes use elbow macaroni. But grandma had another idea – and it's a fantastic one! This old-fashioned baked mac and cheese recipe uses egg noodles instead of elbows. And with just five simple ingredients, it's a pasta recipe you'll want to add to your collection.
To make the simple cheese sauce, butter and flour are cooked together to make a roux. Milk is very slowly whisked in until nice and smooth. Sharp cheddar cheese joins the party and creates the creamy cheese sauce. The sauce is mixed with egg noodles that have been cooked to al dente. The noodles are poured into a casserole dish and topped with more cheese before being baked, covered, for about 30 minutes. The macaroni and cheese casserole is uncovered during the last 10 minutes of cooking so it gets nice and lightly browned on the top.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 package (12 ounces) egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- Soup Pot
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Rubber Spatula
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- If you're not a fan of sharp cheddar cheese, use your favorite cheese (we won't tell grandma).
- You can use evaporated milk in this recipe.
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Stir in the flour until smooth. Slowly start whisking in the milk until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese until melted.
- Add the noodles and stir to coat. Pour into a casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake casserole in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 13.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 17.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6g
Total Sugars: 3.2g
Vitamin D: 9mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.