Mardi Gras Cajun Cornbread Casserole Recipe: A Budget Ground Beef Casserole Recipe Full of Flavor by 30Seconds Food
It's Mardi Gras time of the year! While crawfish, beignets, ettouffe, gumbo, jambalaya and king cake are often the first Cajun foods many of us think of, you can also add a little Cajun into other dishes. This Cajun cornbread casserole recipe is the perfect example!
The flavorful casserole recipe is made with ground beef, cornbread mix, onion, diced tomatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and shredded cheddar cheese. The cornbread mix is prepared according to package directions and spread into a baking dish. The ground beef and onion are cooked along with the remaining ingredients and then poured over the top of the uncooked cornbread batter. Cheese is sprinkled on the top before it is baked for about 30 minutes.
This budget recipe is a complete dinner, but you could add a crisp garden salad. Ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef, and if you don't have frozen mixed vegetables, chop up whatever fresh vegetables you enjoy and use them instead.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 package (8 1/2 ounces) cornbread mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions. Spread the batter into a greased 11x7-inch baking pan or similar size casserole dish.
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until meat if browned and cooked through. Add the drained tomatoes, mixed vegetables, tomato paste and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture over the cornbread batter. Top with the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cornbread Mix $2 & Up
Diced Tomatoes $1 & Up
Cajun Seasoning $2 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.