Nonna's Baked Tortellini Pasta Casserole Recipe: Ring the Dinner Bell by Ann Marie Patitucci
Making dinner on busy weeknights doesn’t have to be something we dread (or is it just me who dreads it?). Pasta recipes can help, as can casseroles recipes. Pasta is cost-effective, cooks quickly and is versatile. Casseroles are great because you can throw them in the oven and get something else done while your casserole cooks. Or, better yet, sit down and relax for a few minutes! Casseroles often provide leftovers, which make for an easy lunch or dinner the next day. Some special recipes give you the best of both worlds. For instance, pasta as a casserole! This easy, cheesy baked tortellini recipe is a great example.
My family doesn’t always agree on what to have for dinner; in fact, we seldom do. However, pasta is something we all love. We each have our favorites (mine is eggplant parmesan), but we’re all happy to eat just about any Italian dish (a family favorite is my spaghetti bolognese). We all enjoy baked ziti, but had never tried baked tortellini. Until now! I highly recommend this tortellini casserole recipe, especially for: hungry eaters, picky kids, casserole lovers, pasta lovers, tortellini lovers, cheese lovers – and just about everyone else, too!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Italian / American
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package (24 ounces) fresh cheese tortellini, uncooked
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Mixing Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- Airtight Containers
- 13x9-inch Baking Pan
- You can substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.
- Try this recipe with spinach tortellini or other flavors.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Cook the onions until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Add ground beef and cook until brown.
- Once beef is cooked, stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Stir in uncooked tortellini and 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Transfer to casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.3g
Saturated Fat: 3.1g
Total Carbohydrate: 39.7g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
Total Sugars: 4.5g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.