Budget 3-Ingredient Slow-cooker Shredded Taco Chicken Recipe for Taco Night by Ann Marie Patitucci
My family loves Taco Tuesday, though my boys would happily eat tacos any day of the week. I love tacos, too, but I like to mix it up a bit. I do this by changing the meat; sometimes we use ground beef, sometimes ground turkey or ground chicken, and sometimes shredded chicken. We even switch up how we make the meal; my husband tends to use the stove, while I’m more inclined to use my beloved slow cooker. And of course we can do either hard taco shells or soft corn or flour tortillas, and the list of possible toppings seems endless!
This slow-cooker chicken taco recipe is incredibly easy. With only three ingredients and just a couple of steps, this is truly a “set it and forget it” kind of recipe. It’s also a versatile one! You could use the shredded chicken for several other recipes. However, in my house it will likely always be used for tacos!
I like to put out the taco toppings in little bowls and let my boys choose what they’d like. We like lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomato, sliced avocado or guacamole, black beans or refried beans, jalapenos, black olives, sour cream, salsa and/or pico de gallo. This makes it an even easier dinner for families with busy schedules. Cleanup is easy, too! Plus, it's easy to freeze leftovers. Simply place shredded chicken into freezer bags along with the juices. Before sealing, press out all the air. Seal and freeze for dinner later.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours on low heat
Total Time: 6 hours and 5 minutes
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I use low-sodium taco seasoning)
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
Here’s how to make it:
- Pour chicken broth into a small bowl. Add taco seasoning and dissolve it into the broth.
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour chicken broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (all slow cookers are different so you may want to check on the chicken to ensure that it’s not drying out).
- With two forks, shred the chicken meat into bite-size pieces. Serve hot with your choice of taco shells and toppings.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.