Sunday Fried Chicken Recipe: Juicy & Crispy Southern Fried Chicken by 30Seconds Food
For many families down south, Sunday dinner is a platter of crispy fried chicken served with comforting side dishes like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, cole slaw and fresh vegetables like green beans, broccoli, carrots, peas and corn. There are so many different ways to fry chicken – from Tuscan fried chicken to classic fried chicken to rosemary fried chicken to naked fried chicken to oven-fried chicken. This easy buttermilk fried chicken recipe starts in a skillet and ends in the oven.
The chicken is super flavorful because it takes a soak in a marinade made with buttermilk, garlic powder and paprika. The chicken is coated in seasoned flour, fried until crispy and golden brown, then finished in the oven. The result is a super crunchy and juicy fried chicken.
If you want to add a little spice, put a few good shakes of hot sauce in the buttermilk marinade. You could even add some ground cayenne to the dredging flour. Serve this crispy Sunday fried chicken recipe with your favorite side dishes. Try one of our macaroni and cheese recipes, mashed potato recipes or cole slaw recipes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour to overnight to marinate
Cook Time: 30 minutes (ovens vary)
Total Time: 40 minutes plus 1 hour to overnight to marinate
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (divided)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (divided)
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Here's how to make it:
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup of the buttermilk, 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the paprika and salt and pepper, to taste (be generous!). Add the chicken, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over high heat to 375 degrees F. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, remaining garlic powder and paprika, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of buttermilk (it will be lumpy).
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then place into the hot oil. (Do not crowd the pan; do this in two batches, if needed.) Cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully turn the chicken over and cook 5 minutes or until both sides are golden brown. Remove the chicken to a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.