Heartwarming 30-Minute Greek Avgolemono Soup Recipe Is Yiayia Approved by Chef Gigi
To make traditional avgolemono soup, Greek yiayias (grandmas) would spend hours starting from scratch to make homemade chicken stock from a whole chicken, then shredding the chicken for the soup. But in this easy 30-minute avgolemono soup recipe, we have two powerful shortcuts to copycat the authentic-tasting traditional version. We can call it Greek-like!
Now I'm going to share some essential cooking tips for this Greek soup. First, be sure always to temper the sauce. To make avgolemono sauce, you'll need to whisk the eggs with acidic lemon juice. It can be tricky, whisking and pouring simultaneously and trying to avoid cooking the eggs with the lemon juice or the heat of the broth. Using a medium bowl to mix in and a whisk is helpful. It helps to whisk fast and make the addition outside the main soup pot, then present it to the main pot of soup. If your eggs scramble, it's OK. Just strain through a fine sieve or try it again! Immediately remove the soup from the heat after introducing the avgolemono sauce or the eggs might begin to cook, and the soup will separate.
Serve this lemony chicken soup recipe for lunch or dinner. It's a quick and easy weeknight meal that will warm the soul.
Cuisine: Greek American
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced to paste
- 16 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups rice or 1 cup orzo pasta (or your favorite pasta)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded or chopped
- 1 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 4 large eggs
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Heat 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Add the carrots, celery and green onions. Cook briefly, then add the garlic.
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaves. Raise the heat to high. Once the liquid has come to a rolling boil, add the rice and salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add the chicken.
- To prepare the egg-lemon sauce, whisk together the lemon juice and eggs in a medium bowl. While whisking, add a few ladles of broth from the cooking pot (this helps temper the eggs). Once thoroughly combined, add the sauce to the chicken soup and stir.
- Remove the soup from the heat immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon slices.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Ovens $10 & Up
Orzo $2 & Up
Rice $2 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Chicken Broth $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.