Best Millionaire's Bars Recipe: Shortbread, Caramel & Chocolate (That's All You Need to Know) by 30Seconds Food
Millionaire's bars are decadent, sweet, delicious three-layer cookie bars that are to die for. The first layer is a shortbread crust made with butter, sugar and flour. The sweet, ooey gooey caramel layer is made with sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, heavy whipping cream, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. If that's not enough, the bars are coated with melted bittersweet chocolate and optional flakey sea salt. OMG.
It's said that this sweet layered bar recipe is called millionaire's bars because it takes the humble shortbread up a few rungs on the ladder with the caramel and chocolate. Sounds about right to us!
If you don't like bittersweet chocolate, you could use semisweet, milk or even dark chocolate. Serve these easy millionaire's bars as a sweet (very sweet!) snack or for dessert with coffee. Store the leftover bars in an airtight container on the counter.
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus time to cool
Cook Time: 50 to 55 minutes
Total Time: 70 to 75 minutes plus time to cool
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- big pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky sea salt (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- To make the crust, in a bowl, combine the butter and granulated sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the flour and salt. Mix to combine (it will be crumbly). Press the mixture into the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan that's been covered with foil so it extends out of the sides. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove and cool.
- To make the caramel, put all the ingredients into a saucepot. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 20 to 25 minutes or until it reaches 236 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove and stir in the vanilla. Pour the caramel over the crust. Let it cool for about 1 1/2 hours.
- To make the chocolate, melt it in the microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth and creamy. Spread the chocolate over the caramel layer. If using, sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the bars cool about 30 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.