Cheesy Vegetable Egg Casserole Recipe for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner by Melissa Vickers
This cheesy vegetable casserole recipe is labeled a breakfast casserole, but it works nicely for brunch, lunch or dinner, much like a quiche. This delicious casserole recipe doesn't have a crust, but plenty of fresh vegetables and cheese.
The casserole is made with cheese, broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, spinach, onion, eggs, half and half and Italian seasoning. Simple ingredients. This cheesy baked casserole is vegetarian, but you could add some cooked meat if you want. Ham, crispy cooked bacon, prosciutto, shredded cooked chicken or turkey would be delicious added to the dish.
This casserole recipe makes a large eight-serving portion in a 13x9-inch baking dish. I opted to cut it in half and used an 8x8-inch baking dish instead. It still made plenty for dinner. Serve this comforting casserole with a fresh garden salad.
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus time to chill
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes plus refrigerator time
Servings: 6 to 8
- 3 cups finely shredded Italian cheese (divided)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or green onion
- 8 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Here’s how to make it:
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese evenly in bottom of dish.
- In large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Add broccoli, mushrooms and garlic. Cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, bell pepper and onion until well mixed. Spoon evenly over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, half and half, flour, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese and vegetable mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight (see note below).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover baking dish and bake 33 to 38 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
Note: If you don’t want to wait to cook this casserole, bake it at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.