Famous Steakhouse Potatoes Romanoff Recipe: What Happened in Vegas Didn't Stay in Vegas by Donna John
Potatoes Romanoff has a history that begins in a restaurant called Strip House in Las Vegas with a chef named John Schenk. He created the cheesy potato casserole based on a recipe his mom made for him growing up. Think of an elevated steakhouse version of funeral potatoes. The popularity of the steakhouse recipe didn't just stay in Vegas, but is now known all across the U.S.
Raw shallots and white pepper elevate this potato recipe to steakhouse status. When researching this recipe, one food blogger recommended sweating the shallots in butter before adding them to the mix. Personally, I like them added raw, but if you're not a big shallot fan, it does take the edge off. You could use chopped green onions in place of the shallots, if desired.
Be sure to cook the potatoes the day before and refrigerate so they're cold when you prep the dish. The potatoes can be baked in the oven or in the microwave until tender. Serve this easy potato casserole with steak, chicken, lamb, pork, seafood or whatever protein makes you feel like a winner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 large russet potatoes, baked until tender and refrigerated overnight
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 cups sour cream
Here's how to make it:
- Grate the cold potatoes with a box grater.
- In a bowl, combine the grated potatoes, shallots, salt, white pepper and cayenne. Toss gently to combine. Stir in the cheese and sour cream. Stir until just combined. Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.