Quick & Easy Chinese Fried Rice Recipe Tastes Like It Was Delivered by Ann Marie Patitucci
When I was a kid, getting takeout Chinese food was considered a big treat. We often got pizza on Friday nights but we ate Chinese far less regularly. Our shared chicken entrees sometimes varied but we always had egg rolls and fried rice. I love both to this day and now my sons do, too. We tend to eat Chinese more often than I did when I was a kid (probably because I always wished I could eat it more often!) but my favorites are still the same.
Even as an adult I never envisioned making my favorite Chinese dishes at home. However, some dishes are surprising easy to make, such as cashew chicken, orange chicken, beef broccoli and wonton soup. My favorite Chinese recipe has to be fried rice, for two reasons.
First, everyone in my family likes it, including my older son who sometimes only eats fried rice when we order Chinese takeout. Second, we can either have it exactly as below or we can change it up by adding char siu (Chinese pork). It’s perfect when we have leftovers of char siu and can add it to our fried rice. Bonus: we save money by making it ourselves at home!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 4 cups cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (run under cool water for 2 minutes to thaw)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- Add the rice and 4 cups cold water to a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, pour in the sesame oil. Add the green onions, ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the peas and carrots and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the eggs and stir fry until they are cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the wok. Stir everything together and chop up any clumps of rice.
- Add the soy and hoisin. Stir. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in cilantro.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.