Easy Date & Pecan Oatmeal Recipe: Old-Fashioned Healthy Goodness for Breakfast by Elisa Schmitz
In my constant battle against high cholesterol, I’m on a quest to make the perfect bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal is at the top of Mayo Clinic's list of cholesterol-reducing foods. (Nuts made the list, too, and that’s why I use them in many of my recipes.)
I often use raisins in my oatmeal, which I love, but I decided to change things up by trying dates instead. Wow, I think I like dates in my oatmeal even better than raisins! They almost melt into the oatmeal, creating sweet chunks of yumminess that you scoop up with every delicious bite of your breakfast.
This easy and delicious recipe for date and pecan oatmeal is so tasty, you won't even realize how nutritious it is. And you certainly won’t notice that it can be part of a heart-healthier diet. It’s just old-fashioned goodness in a bowl.
I hope you enjoy the simple goodness as much as I do. Here's to your heart health!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 to 15 minutes
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled oats (I used gluten-free quick cook oats)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- sliced pecans, for garnish (optional)
- berries of your choice, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Add the water and salt to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add in the oats, reduce heat to low and stir until combined.
- Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, dates and pecans. Cook for a few minutes, stirring continuously, until oatmeal is done (according to package directions) and all ingredients are blended.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with pecans and berries, if desired. Keeps in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days. If reheating, add 1/4 cup milk to each serving and warm in microwave.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.