Slow-Cooker Parmesan Chicken Stew Recipe: Your New Favorite Winter Dinner by Ann Marie Patitucci
I think this slow cooker chicken stew recipe is my new favorite winter meal. It’s creamy, cheesy, filling and perfect for a weeknight. It also allows me to sneak in some vegetables. The kids don’t even realize! I remember my mom cooking meals like this when I was a kid (but that was before the invention of the slow cooker, of course) and now I enjoy making them for my family. There’s nothing better than coming home from work or school and having a warm comfort meal on a cold winter day.
Another thing I love about this chicken recipe is that it can be easily modified to your tastes. For instance, you can easily remove or add vegetables. If your kids hate celery, don’t add any. If you love peas, throw them in! Just keep in mind that some veggies should be added in the beginning (the ones that take a long time to cook) while some are best added at the end (such as frozen peas).
Also, if you’re short on time, you can use pre-cooked (refrigerated, not frozen) chicken strips or pieces from a fresh rotisserie chicken. When serving, you can top each bowl with more Parmesan cheese, which is a must at my house. We’re also bread lovers, so we must serve this with bread for “dunking,” too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours and 45 minutes
- 1 pound petite, baby or new potatoes, quartered
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- Add potatoes, chicken, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and broth to your 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- Raise slow cooker to high. Stir together cream and cornstarch and then stir into slow cooker. Add Parmesan cheese and stir. Cover and cook another 30 to 60 minutes or until thickened slightly.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $20 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Vegetable Broth $2 & Up
Parsley Flakes $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.