Spinach & Feta Turkish Flatbread Recipe (Gozleme): A Savory Stuffed Turnover Recipe by Ann Marie Patitucci
I love learning about new recipes from other cultures. I was so excited when a friend shared a recipe for Turkish gozleme with me. These crispy, olive oil flavored, delicious flatbreads are stuffed with various fillings, such as minced ground lamb or ground beef, spinach and feta, cheese and herb, or potato and cheese (double carbs for the carb lovers!). The Turkish recipe is specifically for spinach and feta, as I personally tend to prefer vegetables to meat.
I’ve learned that gozleme is popular at Turkish markets, and I can understand why. Turkish gozleme is crispy, golden brown deliciousness on the outside and your choice of yummy filling on the inside! And if you don’t have access to a Turkish market, you can easily make these Turkish stuffed turnovers at home.
The flatbread dough requires only four ingredients (no yeast!) and is easy to work with. This homemade bread is a great way to start out working with dough if you haven’t done so before (I’m a bit of a novice at working with dough myself!).
Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 20 minutes to rest
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
Spinach and Feta Filling
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 ounces feta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Fit a stand mixer with dough hook. Combine flour, oil, salt and water in the bowl of the mixer. Using the dough hook, knead on medium for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until the dough is a smooth malleable ball (not sticky). Cover and rest the dough for 20 minutes. Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour. Cut dough into four pieces, then roll out into a 14x8-inch rectangle.
- To make the filling, place spinach, garlic, egg and pepper in a bowl. (To reduce volume and make spinach more "floppy," “scrunch" it with your hands.) Add feta and stir through.
- To assemble the gozleme, sprinkle spinach feta filling with mozzarella cheese, if desired. Fold other side of pastry over to cover filling. Press down edges, pressing out any air pockets trapped inside as you go. Seal well (use water if needed). Sprinkle flour on a round pizza paddle (or something similar). Slide the gozleme onto paddle.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (or use two skillets to speed the process along). Slide the gozleme into skillet. Cook, lightly pressing down with a spatula (including edges), until deep golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook, adding a little more oil, if needed. Press down lightly until crispy. Repeat with the remaining gozleme. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into six or eight triangles. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, if desired.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.