Classic Mile-High Apple Pie Recipe: Simple, Foolproof & Impressive by Melissa Vickers
Not only is it apple season, it's pie season! Thanksgiving – or any special occasion – and pie go together like sugar and a sweet tooth! The biggest problem is deciding which pie to serve. We’ve managed to have three.
We did blueberry pie, my no name pie from from my husband’s Aunt Ruth and pumpkin pie. The most recent is this apple pie recipe. Other than some time to slice six apples, it is easy and makes an impressively mounded pie that, coupled with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, will turn the head – or taste buds – of even the diehard chocoholics.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
Servings: 8 (makes 1 pie)
- 2 store-bought pie crusts (or make your own)
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup salted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Apple Corer
- Pie Plate
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Rubber Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Pastry Brush
- You can use other apples, but the tartness of the Granny Smith apples combined with the sugar and cinnamon really make this pie sing!
- Cinnamon lovers can sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the top crust before baking.
Here’s how to make it:
- Place one crust in your favorite pie pan.
- To prepare filling, combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch with a wire whisk in a large bowl.
- Cut apples into thin slices. I use an apple cutter that makes eight pieces, and then slice each piece into four thin slices. Add apples to bowl and mix to coat apples completely. Dot the apples with the pieces of butter.
- Place second crust on top, crimp the edges and cut a few slits. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
- Place pie on center rack of oven. Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 30 additional minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling through steam slits.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 21.6g
Saturated Fat: 7.5g
Total Carbohydrate: 73.4g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Total Sugars: 42.5g
Vitamin D: 4mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.