Buttery Mashed Potatoes Recipe: The Only Mashed Potato Recipe You'll Ever Need by 30Seconds Food
Everyone needs a good, basic mashed potato recipe in their recipe box. But when we say "basic," we don't just mean potatoes, butter and cream. This basic mashed potato recipe starts with Yukon Gold potatoes, which are silky and buttery, then has an extra little bit of goodness with cream cheese. They are also whipped with a mixer instead of just being mashed with a potato masher. Basic but not so basic, right?
When whipping the potatoes, be sure not to overmix so they stay smooth and creamy. The recipe calls for peeling the potatoes, but if you like the peel left on, go for it. These potatoes make the perfect side dish for dinner.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- black pepper, to taste
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the potatoes with 1 teaspoon of salt until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until most of the water evaporates and the potatoes are dry.
- Add the remaining salt, butter, half and half, cream cheese and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until melted and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth, about 1 minute. (Do not overbeat or the potatoes will get gummy.)
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Electric Mixers $15 & Up
Large Pots $10 & Up
Potato Mashers $6 & Up
Potato Cookbooks $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.