Easy Sweet Potato Cornbread Recipe Is the Must-Make Recipe for Fall by Donna John
Cornbread is a southern staple. I have one recipe that is my go-to cornbread recipe. But being fall, when I saw a sweet potato cornbread recipe, I had to try it. Wow! What a delicious and creative way to enjoy cornbread!
This cornbread recipe calls for a cup of mashed, cooked sweet potato. You can cook the sweet potato any way you'd like. I zapped mine in the microwave for about 10 minutes before removing the skin and mashing. The original recipe called for whisking together the wet ingredients (sweet potato, eggs, sour cream, milk and butter), but I could not get the ingredients smooth that way. I poured the mixture into my blender, gave it a few pulses, and then poured the smooth mixture back into the bowl to incorporate with the dry ingredients.
Serve this easy sweet potato cornbread recipe that's spiked with pumpkin pie spice as a side dish with butter or honey.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 to 55 minutes
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Here's how to make it:
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a blender, combine the mashed sweet potato, sour cream, melted butter, milk and eggs. Pulse until just smooth. (The original recipe did not call for blending it, but it helps incorporate the sweet potatoes better and make a smoother batter.)
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
- Spread the mixture into a buttered 10-inch ovenproof skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine was done before 40 minutes.)
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.