20-Minute Leftover Mashed Potato Soup Recipe Is Quick & Delicious by 30Seconds Food
Who hasn't stared at a bowl of leftover mashed potatoes and wondered if there was a more exciting way to use them? Well, we found it! This easy potato soup recipe is made with leftover mashed potatoes! It is creamy, rich and full of flavor. The perfect lunch or dinner during the cooler months – and it's on the table in 20 minutes.
Serve this quick soup recipe with crusty bread and a salad on the side. Instead of bacon and green onions, you could top this potato soup with some crushed up potato chips. The kids would love that!
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cooked crumbled bacon, green onions and additional shredded cheese, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a soup pot. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the leftover mashed potatoes and stir well. Pour in the chicken broth and half and half. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with bacon, chopped green onions and more cheese, if desired.
Note: Add more half and half or chicken broth for a thinner soup.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.