Creamy Mashed Potato Soup Recipe Is a Genius Way to Use Leftovers (20 Minutes) by 30Seconds Food
Have you ever stared at a bowl of leftover mashed potatoes and wondered if there was a more exciting way to use them? Well, we found it! This easy potato soup recipe is made with leftover mashed potatoes. And, if you're anything like us, you probably have lots of leftover mashed potatoes during the holidays.
This cheesy mashed potato soup recipe is creamy, rich and full of flavor. The perfect dinner during the cooler months, it takes just eight ingredients and is ready in only about 20 minutes – so it's easy enough to make for lunch. Genius!
Top a steaming hot bowl of this potato soup with chopped green onions, crumbled crisp bacon and shredded cheese. You could even try a garnish of crushed potato chips with a dollop of sour cream for extra decadence. For a complete dinner, serve this quick soup recipe with crusty bread and a salad on the side. Yum!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cooked crumbled bacon, green onions and additional shredded cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Soup Bowls
- Salt and Pepper
- Airtight Containers
- This potato soup recipe can easily be doubled.
- If you would like this soup to be gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- You could add some cooked chopped bacon or leftover ham into the soup for even more flavor.
- If you would like a thinner soup, add more half and half or chicken broth.
- As a variation, you can garnish this soup with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave, adding more milk, if needed, to loosen it up.
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a soup pot. Add the shallots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the leftover mashed potatoes and stir well. Pour in the chicken broth and half and half. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with bacon, chopped green onions and cheddar or Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 17.5g
Saturated Fat: 10.4g
Total Carbohydrate: 33.6g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
Total Sugars: 0.4g
Vitamin D: 5mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.