Easy, Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin Recipe Is Love at First Bite by 30Seconds Food
Cauliflower has become a very popular vegetable because it's healthy, delicious and versatile. There are so many ways to cook cauliflower. This easy cauliflower au gratin recipe is unique in that it has three kinds of cheese: Gruyere, white cheddar and yellow cheddar. How can that not be good? Actually, it's love at first bite!
Here's what you need in order to make this vegetarian dish for dinner: cauliflower, butter, flour, milk, nutmeg, Gruyere, white cheddar cheese and yellow cheddar cheese. You cook the cauliflower, make the sauce, add the nutmeg and cheese, then bake it up until it's golden.
You could add a panko breadcrumbs topping to this side dish recipe, if desired (see Recipe Notes). It adds a little crunch, but is delicious without it. Your call. Enjoy the cheesy vegetable goodness!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated yellow cheddar cheese (divided)
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Baking Dishes
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- You can try other cheeses in this casserole, such as Parmesan.
- To add a panko breadcrumbs topping, simply mix some melted butter with panko and sprinkle over the top before baking.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free flour.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
Here's how to make it:
- Steam or boil the cauliflower until crisp-tender. Drain well.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the nutmeg, Gruyere, white cheddar and 1/4 cup of the yellow cheddar. Stir until smooth.
- Put one-third of the sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with the cauliflower and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 10.6g
Saturated Fat: 6.4g
Total Carbohydrate: 9.4g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
Total Sugars: 5.1g
Vitamin D: 25mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.