Whole-Grain Pumpkin Spice Scones Recipe: A Fiber-Rich Fall Scone by Ann Marie Patitucci
Scones are traditionally connected with Scotland, Ireland and England, but exactly which country deserves credit for the creation of the delicious treat, no one seems to know for sure. This pumpkin scones recipe, though, adds a bit of American flair – the Americans-love-pumpkin-spice flair!
Whole-wheat pastry flour is a crucial ingredient in these sweet, pumpkin spice scones. As compared to white flour, whole-wheat flour is less processed. This means it’s healthier and more nutritious than white flour. Wheat flour is higher in fiber, vitamins and minerals. The softer wheat also produces tender, lighter baked goods. Bonus: the scones only take five minutes to prep.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 scones
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, buttermilk and egg yolk until smooth. Set aside.
- Put the oats into a food processor and pulse until they form a coarse meal. Add the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse until combined. Add butter and then pulse until the mixture looks more like fine meal. Add the cranberries/cherries and pulse once. Add the pumpkin mixture and pulse until the oat mixture is just moistened, about three to four pulses. Remove the dough from the processor bowl and gently knead until combined. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Gently press the dough into a 9-inch round cake pan that's been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Press so it is approximately 7 inches across and 3/4 inch thick (it’s fine if it doesn’t go all the way to the edges). Sprinkle turbinado sugar over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the top begins to crack, it’s golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Slice into 8 scones.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Whole Wheat Flour $4 & Up
Pumpkin Puree $2 & Up
Old-fashioned Oats $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Pumpkin Pie Spice $3 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Baking Soda $1 & Up
Dried Cranberries $4 & Up
Turbinado Sugar $4 & Up
Dried Cherries $4 & Up
Round Cake Pans $8 & Up
Food Processors $40 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.