The Easiest Beef Barley Soup Recipe: Comfort Food in a Bowl by Ann Marie Patitucci
I enjoy soup all year long, but especially in the fall and winter. Beef barley is one of my favorites. I like this soup recipe in particular because it doesn’t have potatoes; I figured I eat plenty of carbs already!
This rich and hearty soup has a great mix of textures, with the tender beef, vegetables and chewy barley. It will leave you satisfied and warm. It’s the definition of comfort food; it reminds me of being home from school sick and being taken care of by my mom.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound stew beef
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 7 cups water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup barley
Here’s how to make it:
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions and beef. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat browns.
- Add all other ingredients and stir. Simmer for about 2 hours.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.