Lemon Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe Is What to Make Year-Round by 30Seconds Food
This lemony chicken and rice soup recipe is inspired by the Greek lemon soup called Avgolemono. Avgolemono has egg, but this delicious soup is eggless. This flavorful chicken soup is perfect for cool fall nights, warm spring days or even hot summer nights with a loaf of crusty bread. (Who says soup is only for winter?)
For this lemon chicken and rice soup recipe you'll need boneless chicken thighs, bay leaves, olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, long-grain rice, lemons and fresh parsley. Simple, healthy ingredients. While the soup simmers, cut up a fresh salad or try your hand at homemade dinner rolls.
You could use boneless chicken breast for this recipe, but the boneless thighs are moister and more forgiving if overcooked. Serve this chicken soup for lunch or dinner. Store any leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 lemons, juiced
- chopped fresh parsley, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken, bay leaves and water into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, squash, garlic and thyme. Cook until they soften a bit, about 5 minutes. Put the vegetables into the pot with the broth.
- Shred and return the chicken to the pot. Add the rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish individual bowls with chopped fresh parsley.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $10 & Up
White Rice $2 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.