Easy Crinkle Cake Recipe: The Viral Sweet & Flaky Phyllo Dough Recipe by Ann Marie Patitucci
I am truly amazed by the role of TikTok in cooking and baking today. I, like millions of others, have tried new recipes that I learned about on TikTok. I was recently surprised to see just how many videos for crinkle cake can be found on the social media platform.[img]
Crinkle cake is a traditional Middle Eastern dessert, a sweet and flaky pastry made with phyllo dough, custard and syrup. The dessert is known as muakacha in the Middle East. Over 50 crinkle cake videos have been shared to TikTok. Regardless of the version, crinkle cake is a delicious phyllo dough pastry, crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. This is a variation of many of the crinkle cake videos. Hope you enjoy!
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Servings: 12 to 16 pieces
- phyllo dough sheets (approximately 28 pieces needed)
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 drops lemon juice or splash orange blossom water
- chopped nuts, for garnish (optional)
- dried rose petals or edible flowers, for garnish (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Take two phyllo sheets at a time and “scrunch” them together to form one crinkled piece. Place this first crinkled piece at one end of a 13x9-inch baking pan. Add another next to it. Repeat process until the entire pan is filled with crinkled pieces of phyllo dough. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- While the dough bakes, in a skillet melt two sticks of butter. Remove dough from oven and pour melted butter over the top. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the custard. Combine 1 cup sugar, milk and eggs. Stir until smooth and thick. Remove dough from oven and pour custard over the top. Bake dough for 30 to 35 more minutes or until golden brown on top.
- To make the syrup, combine 1 cup sugar, water and lemon juice or orange blossom water. Simmer for about 10 minutes and then remove from heat. As it cools, syrup will thicken. Pour syrup over the dough. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and dried rose petals, if desired. Cut in individual squares.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.