Easy Crock Pot™ Split Pea Soup Recipe With Spanish Chorizo by 30Seconds Food
When someone says split pea soup, most of us think of thick, creamy, green split pea soup with ham. Not this time. This split pea soup recipe is made in a slow cooker and is finished with Spanish chorizo link sausage. The spicy chorizo adds a kick to the soup and is less salty than ham.
If you can't find fresh chorizo sausage links, you could use Italian sausage, kielbasa or your favorite sausage instead. Serve this hearty split pea soup with crusty bread and a salad.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 8 hours
Total Time: 4 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups dried split peas (green or yellow)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound fresh Spanish chorizo, sliced
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken broth, water, potatoes, split peas, onion, carrots, garlic, paprika and oregano into a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Right before serving, brown the chorizo in a skillet. Stir it into the soup. Add crushed red pepper flakes, to taste, if desired. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slow Cookers $20 & Up
Dried Split Peas $2 & Up
Low-Sodium Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Oregano $2 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.