Authentic Hungarian Chicken Paprikash Recipe: A Rich One-Pan Chicken Dinner by 30Seconds Food
Chicken paprikash is a rich, stew-like Hungarian recipe that's chicken cooked in a flavorful paprika sauce. This one-pan chicken recipe is traditionally served over egg noodles or dumplings (nokedli), but is also wonderful over rice, potatoes, spaetzle or gnocchi. Add a vegetable and dinner is done.
It's important to use fresh paprika for this recipe because it plays a big role in the dish. If it has been in your pantry for a long time, toss it and buy a new jar. This recipe uses bone-in chicken, but you could use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts if you'd like. Boneless takes less time to cook, so be sure to adjust the cooking time.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or legs (or your favorite pieces), patted dry with a paper towel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (or to taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Here's how to make it:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on the first side, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and brown the other side about 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add paprika (hot and sweet) and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Put the chicken back into the pan. Cover and cook on low for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F internal temperature).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Hungarian Cookbooks $5 & Up
Sweet Hungarian Paprika $4 & Up
Hot Paprika $4 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.