Easy Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe Is a Slice of Autumn Heaven by Ann Marie Patitucci
My family enjoys apple pie and apple crisp in the fall and throughout the year. I thought I’d switch things up and look for apple upside-down cake recipes. After looking at several, I put together this variation of Wegmans apple upside-down cake with my own touches.
I especially like the inclusion of pecans and cinnamon in this apple cake recipe. Note that this recipe does not include a boxed cake mix, as some do. This is a delicious classic dessert, but I recommend it for breakfast, too! Try it with my homemade two-ingredient vanilla extract. For dessert, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 to 65 minutes
Total Time: 75 to 80 minutes
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 Granny Smith apples (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled, cored and sliced into eighths
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (try this homemade vanilla extract recipe)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- dash of ground cinnamon (or to taste)
Here’s how to make it:
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Add brown sugar to the bottom.
- Pour 1/2 cup melted butter over brown sugar and sprinkle with 1/4 cup toasted pecans. Arrange apple slices, rounded-side down, over sugar/pecan mixture.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Using a mixer with whisk attachment, combine eggs and granulated sugar. Whip on high until thick and light. Fold in vanilla and yogurt, then add flour mixture. Gently add remaining pecans until evenly mixed. Add a dash of ground cinnamon. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
- With a spatula, spread the batter over apples. Place cake pan on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set about 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Round Cake Pans $8 & Up
Light Brown Sugar $2 & Up
Cinnamon $3 & Up
Pecans $4 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.