Easy Macedonian Pizza (Pastrmajlija) Recipe: Pizza Night Just Got Interesting by 30Seconds Food
North Macedonia, officially called the Republic of North Macedonia, is a country in Southeast Europe that gained independence from Yugoslavia in 1991. Fun facts, but the delicious fact we're excited over is their pastrmajlija pizza recipe.
Macedonian pizza is an oval pizza loaded with tender, savory pieces of pork and whole or whisked eggs. The word pastrmajlija comes from pastrma, which means salted or dried meat. The pizza is often cooked in a special oven at a very high heat.
Pastrmajlija pizza is often served with hot pickled peppers. You could use thick-cut bacon in place of the pork. And yes, there is no cheese on this pizza.
Cuisine: Macedonia / European
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin or pork chops, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 store-bought pizza crusts (16 ounces each) or homemade fresh pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 - 4 whole eggs
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the pork with salt, pepper, the paprika and cayenne, to taste. Cook the pork in the hot oil, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove to a plate.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the pizza dough to form two ovals, twisting the ends to form a boat shape. Put onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (you may need two baking sheets). Whisk the egg and brush on the edges of the crust. Brush the inside of the dough with the melted butter.
- Divide the pork between the pizzas. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in a preheated 450-degree F oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and make indentions on the pizza with the back of a spoon to hold desired number of eggs. Crack an egg into each hole (you could beat them before adding to pizza).
- Put the pizza back into the oven and bake for about 7 to 8 minutes more, or until eggs are set to your liking and crust is golden. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $8 & Up
Parchment Paper $3 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Ground Cayenne $3 & Up
Pickled Peppers $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.