Aromatic Lebanese Chicken & Rice Recipe (Riz a Djej): Middle Eastern Comfort Food by 30Seconds Food
Riz a Djej is Lebanon's version of Spanish arroz con pollo, Filipino chicken adobo or American chicken and rice. The rice and chicken recipe is a popular dish in the Middle East and often served at celebrations. The aromatic chicken recipe is easy to cook at home!
Most often, almonds are used in this Lebanese recipe. But you could substitute cashews or pine nuts for the almonds. This chicken and rice recipe is a complete meal when served with a vegetable or salad. In the Middle East, it's usually served alongside shawarma, kibbeh, kofta or falafel.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 10 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped (divided)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 pound ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 cups long-grain rice, washed and drained well
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon Lebanese seven spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Here's how to make it:
- Put the water, 1 onion, the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and whole chicken into a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until cooked through, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When cooked, remove and allow to cool until it's easy to handle, then shred and set aside. Keep the cooking liquid.
- Heat the butter in a skillet. Add the almonds and cook until toasted and golden. Remove to a plate.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet. Cook the remaining onion and ground beef until meat is cooked through. Add the rice, allspice, Lebanese seasoning, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups of the reserved stock to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook on low heat until rice is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, layer the rice mixture and shredded chicken in a large serving bowl or platter or individual serving bowls. Flip the bowls over (do not do this is you're using a platter) and top with the almonds.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Lebanese Seven Spice Seasoning $6 & Up
Allspice $4 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Cinnamon Sticks $4 & Up
Almonds $4 & Up
Long Grain Rice $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4
Nutmeg $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.