Best Foods to Fight Inflammation & Foods That Cause Inflammation (Plus 22 Anti-inflammatory Recipes) by Ann Marie Patitucci
As someone with an autoimmune disease, I need to be aware of what I should be eating – and not eating. I’ve read a lot about the best anti-inflammatory foods to eat but not as much about the foods to avoid, i.e. those that cause inflammation. So I wanted to put together a list of both the most anti-inflammatory and inflammatory foods. After all, chronic inflammation has been linked to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, depression and Alzheimer’s disease, so it may just be worth it to learn about both.
Inflammatory Foods and Drinks (Avoid or Minimize These)
- Processed meats, such as deli meats, pepperoni, hot dogs, sausage and bacon.
- Highly processed foods, such as fast food, ready-to-eat meals and snacks.
- Added sugars, such as those in condiments, salad dressings, etc.
- Soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Artificial sweeteners. Use sugar or another sweetener like stevia, honey or maple, but in smaller amounts.
- Refined carbs, such as pasta, bread and white rice.
- Too many omega-6 fatty acids, such as vegetable oils (aim for more omega-3s).
- Trans fats, such as fried foods, fast food, margarine and shortening.
- More than one or two cocktails (no more than one a day for women and two for men).
Anti-Inflammatory Foods and Drinks (Eat More of These)
1. Vegetables, such as broccoli, tomatoes, avocados, peppers and mushrooms. Try these recipes:
2. Green leafy vegetables, such as kale, spinach and collards. Try these recipes:
3. Fruits, such as strawberries, blueberries, cherries, oranges, grapefruit and grapes. Try these recipes:
4. Extra virgin olive oil. Try these recipes:
5. Nuts, such as walnuts and almonds. Try these recipes:
6. Turmeric! Try these recipes and here are more turmeric recipes:
7. Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, tuna and sardines. Try these recipes:
8. Green tea. Try this recipe:
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.