Creamy Baked Cod Mornay Recipe: A French Fish Dish in 30 Minutes by 30Seconds Food
Mornay sauce is a béchamel sauce that is made with grated cheddar cheese. Other cheeses like Gruyere, white cheddar and Emmental are sometimes used instead of cheddar cheese. Using the sauce over fish is a classic combination.
Fish in Mornay sauce is often made with potatoes. For this tasty cod Mornay recipe, we opted to serve potatoes on the side to keep the recipe quick and easy. Serve this baked fish recipe with mashed potatoes, potatoes au gratin or with your favorite potato recipe. If you're not a fan of cod or can't find it, use another white fish. Just be sure to adjust cooking time depending on thickness.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds cod or smoked cod
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
Here's how to make it:
- Put the cod into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter into a small saucepot. Add the cornmeal or flour and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking, until it comes to a boil. Stir until smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the fish. Top with the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Dot with the butter.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.